Tips for drivers
If you haven’t used a bicycle on the road for a while it’s easy to forget how it might feel to be sharing the road with lots of traffic. Please help keep everyone safe by following these tips for drivers:
- Be ‘speed aware’ and slow down to overtake people on bikes.
- Give adequate space when overtaking cyclists: at least a car’s width is recommended.
- Keep advanced stop lines (ASLs) clear: it's safer to let a bike clear the traffic light before you move forwards. The ASL helps you do this.
- Check for cyclists when opening your car door.
- Check for cyclists when turning left and right.
- Always indicate clearly and in plenty of time when you plan to turn.
- Never use your mobile phone when driving.
- Be patient and don't take unnecessary risks to get somewhere in a hurry.
Why are cyclists in the middle of the road?
Have a look at this video, it provides a useful insight into why cyclists are sometimes cycling in a very prominent position.
Enter our competition for the chance to win one of our fantastic prizes.